San Joaquin County Court Changes due to Covid-19 & Coronavirus
Due to the current health circumstances surrounding the nation, the local San Joaquin court has issued the following statement regarding changes in schedule:
San Joaquin County Superior Court
To Reduce Court Operations During Pandemic
Non-Emergency Court Hearings to be Continued – Clinics, Workshops and other Services Temporarily Closed.
In an effort to promote the health and safety of court users and employees as well as mitigate community spread of the Covid-19/Coronavirus, the San Joaquin County Superior Court has suspended all non-emergency services effective March 17, 2020-April 3, 2020:
• Criminal arraignments with in-custody defendants and “time not waived” (TNW)
preliminary hearings and trials will be heard.
• Criminal matters with in-custody defendants where defendant’s appearance can be
• Criminal matters with out-of-custody defendants will be rescheduled.
• All civil proceedings will be rescheduled.
• All Unlawful Detainer (UD) matters will be rescheduled.
• All Civil Harassments will be heard.
• All domestic violence restraining orders will be heard.
• All custody hearings where ex parte orders were granted will be heard.
• All family court and mediation matters will be rescheduled.
• All clinics and workshops have been cancelled.
• All other family law and family support matters will be rescheduled.
• All traffic matters will be rescheduled.
• All Small Claims matters will be rescheduled.
• All Juvenile Dependency will be rescheduled.
• W&I sec. 602 Juvenile Detention hearings will be heard.
• W&I sec. 602 TNW in-custody jurisdictional hearings will be heard.
• W&I sec. 602 in-custody TNW dispositional hearings will be heard.
• W&I sec. 602 TNW in-custody transfer hearings will be heard.
• All other hearings will be rescheduled.
• All Probate hearings will be rescheduled.
• All in-person visits related to guardianship and conservatorship cases will be suspended.
• Any temporary orders will be extended until the next court date.
THE COURT WILL BE AVAILABLE FOR:
• Ex-parte requests for civil harassment TROs, DVTROs, and Gun Violence Protective
• Emergency ex-parte lockout proceedings (UD).
• A Family law judge will review ex-parte requests for emergency TROs,
Guardianship requests where a minor’s safety is at risk.
• A Juvenile judge will be available for emergency orders and Dependency detentions.
• A Probate judge will be available to cover emergency conservatorship and other
• All search warrants (day and night) will be electronically submitted.
In addition, effective March 17, 2020 – April 3, 2020, the Court will institute the following changes:
PROSPECTIVE JURORS – Please review the IMPORTANT JUROR NOTICE located on
our Jury Webpage. https://www.sjcourts.org/divisions/jury-service/. Continue to call-in
and check the Court’s website for reporting instructions.
• WORKSHOPS AND CLINICS
All workshops and clinics have been cancelled.
• SELF-HELP CENTER
The Self-Help Center will be closed. Services will be available on-line and by phone.
Please call (209) 992-5282.
The public is urged to monitor the San Joaquin County Superior Court website
(www.sjcourts.org) for updated information